Hanna #46, Medicine Bow
January 8, 1947

George Worman
Rebecca
Dolling
      Hanna Chapter was instituted under dispensation on January 8, 1947, by Worthy Grand Patron W.O. Edmondson, who also instituted Burns, Adah, Meeteetse and Signal Cliff Chapters during 1946-47. Brother Edmondson was assisted by Sisters Mollie B. Ellis, Grand Secretary; Lois Patterson, Grand Marshal; Betty Evenson, Grand Chaplain; and Minnie Willson, Grand Organist.
      Initiation was conducted by Wyoming Chapter No. 7, Rawlins, for nineteen candidates and affiliation of thirteen members resulting in thirty-two charter members.
      On January 22, 1947, at the first regular meeting, election of officers was held and Sister Doris Woods and Brother Merrel Woods were elected Hanna's first Worthy Matron and Worthy Patron; Sister Fay Gerhardt and Brother William Gerhardt, Associate Matron and Associate Patron and Sister Fenus Roberts, Secretary.
      There were twenty-five members present at their first meeting.
      On October 8, 1947, following a banquet for one hundred guests, Hanna Chapter No. 46 was constituted. Seventeen chapters were represented at the meeting and their small hall was really over flowing.
      In1949 Sister Ruth Gowdy, Worthy Grand Matron's project was the Shrine Hospital for Crippled Children in Salt Lake City where a new hospital was to be erected. Hanna members went full out for this project and actually contributed the largest amount of any chapter in Wyoming.
      In 1951 the Worthy Matron Jeane Amoss's project was recognized in May when an electric signet was ordered.
      In April 1955, the meetings were changed to once a month. The change was due to so many members having moved away due primarily to the closing of the mines and a large number of members lived in distant towns, Rock River, Medicine Bow, Elk Mountain and Leo. During the winter, the distances to travel made if difficult to attend meetings regularly.
      During the time the meetings were held in Hanna, the chapter, at one time, gave the Worthy Grand Matron a hard hat to wear during the meeting because the ceiling was noted for falling at various times.
      At one official visit, the Worthy Grand Matron was referred to as the "Grand Madam" and our own Past Grand Patron, George Worman, was introduced in his own chapter as "George Washington".
      During Sister Maurine Worman's year as Worthy Matron, 1981-82, it was voted to hand hook a 12' x 12' Eastern Star rug at her suggestion. The project was undertaken and during the following year, under Worthy Matron Barbara Gillett, it was completed. Obviously, they became known as the "Happy Hookers". Needless to say, they are very proud of their rug.
      Sister Rebecca Dolling served as Grand Treasurer from 1988-1995 and became Grand Treasurer Emeritus in 1995. Sister Rebecca was elected Associate Grand Conductress in 1995.