Golden West #37, Glenrock
March 26, 1924

Otis B Barber
Marie O'Neal
Gene Salzman
Lloyd
Brown
Denise
St John
John Kenfield, Jr
1. Elizabeth Scott, Conductress; Amber Mathisen, Associate Grand Matron; Henri Manning, Chaplain.
2. Ted Purvis, PP; Lois Purvis, GGCCM Prompter; Kathy Winders, Organist
3.  Grand Treasurer Lee Brown; Stephanie Cox, PGM, Grand Representative of California in Wyoming
      Photos by Henri Manning
     In 1924 a group of interested and eligible persons decided Glenrock, Wyoming, needed an Eastern Star Chapter. After submitting the proper petitions, Brother "Dad" Stansbury of Douglas and Worthy Grand Patron of the grand Chapter of Wyoming, assisted by some of the Grand Officers and many members from Casper and Douglas, instituted the chapter on March 26, 1924. The charter was presented at Grand Chapter on August 26, 1924.Many names were considered for the new chapter but the one chosen was suggested by Brother Orren M. Russell, previously from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. There, he rarely saw the sun clearly because of the smoke from the factories. The air was so clear and Wyoming's sunsets were so bright and golden that he called Wyoming his "Golden West", thus the name selected.
     There were twenty-seven charter members. Of those, nine joined by affiliation and eighteen by invitation. It has been the custom in Golden West Chapter to have one meeting during the year dedicated to the charter members.
     Sister Daisy Carson was the first Worthy Matron and Brother Frank O. Carson, was the first Worthy Patron of Golden West Chapter No. 37.
     For several years, the meetings were held in the Odd Fellow Hall. The equipment consisted of bare necessities and many of these were gifts from other chapters.
     Past Matron's pins have always been presented to the outgoing Matrons. Until 1942 the jewels were all alike, but during World War II, the jewelers were able to supply the same style pin. Now each Matron selects her own.
     For many years, the lady officers wore white street length dresses. In 1936 Sister Mable Smith suggested that white formals would be nice for initiations and special occasions. Since that time, floor-length formals have been worn, although the color and style have been changed many times.
     The Secretary's salary in 1924 was $1.00. In 1925 it was raised to $2.00 per year, and later to $.50 per meeting and her dues were remitted. In 1947 a motion to pay the Secretary $20.00 per year was passed. The dues were still $3.00 per year but no longer took care of expenses, so money raising events and donations were again needed.
     To exemplify the colors during initiation, flowers were given to the candidates for many years. Later, the candidates were given the small white Bible they used at the Altar.
     The "Tea Club" was organized in 1928 to help make things for the hall and to raise money needed for the chapter. Some of the things contributed by the Tea Club are: Altar rug, drapes, ballot box, kitchen equipment such as ash trays, dishes, silver, tea towels, coffee urn, electric mixer, satin table cloth with colored stars, Altar and lighted station stands. The Tea Club members made id covered the kneeling stools around the Altar and the satin covers used on the station stands. They bought card tables, four folding dining tables, anteroom furniture, carpet for the waiting room and stairs and the furniture in the waiting room.
     In 1932, the Masons acquired a new building and the area used as the meeting hall was previously a large, bare dance hall. The kitchen was poorly equipped, the roof seemed always to spring a leak at the most inopportune time, the floor was bare and the yellow jackets had homes in the attic. However, the Masons did have their own home, which gave them the incentive to work hard to improve it. The chapter paid very low rent which probably covered only the light and heat for meetings. After the Masons got their building paid for, the chapter had free rent and were permitted to use the hall when it was not needed for meetings or practice.
     The chapter originally had two meetings a month, on the second and fourth Wednesdays. During World War II, several of the officers were driving from Parkerton and Sister Evelyn and Brother Fred Grand from their home on Boxelder. Gasoline was at such a premium that it was decided to change the meeting to once a month using the second Wednesday.
In 1946 the "penny march" was started, it later became the "Silver March". The funds were kept separate for use on special program expenses as none were allowed to use chapter funds for such at that time.
     have been many candidates initiated in Golden West Chapter, and a few persons had been black-balled, some demitted, many were suspended for non-payment of dues and several have been "called to the Grand Chapter above". In 1960 the membership was 134.Their old crown and scepter, sheaf, ballot box, a small white Bible and a gavel were sent to Sister and Brother Michaelis for the new chapter at Fr. St. John, British Columbia, Canada. The Michalis' demitted from Golden West Chapter to become charter members of the new Canadian chapter.